Limni (Greek: Λίμνη meaning “lake”) is a town in the northwestern part of the island of Euboea in Greece. It has been suggested as the site of the ancient city of Elymnion. Elymnion is mentioned in the play Peace by Aristophanes. The exact location is unknown, and several possible locations have been suggested, including the present town Limni on the coast of the North Euboean Gulf.
In the town of Limni you can visit the following major historical and cultural sites:
The church of Genisis tis Theotokou (Virgin Mary’s Heavenly Birth) in the entrance of the town. It is a three-aisled basilica built in 1837 with a remarkable marble belfry built in 1879 by Mastroloukas, a sculptor from Tinos island.
The church of Zoodoxos Pigi (Life giving font of Virgin Mary) and the ruins of a basilica dating back to the Early Christian period and built on Roman spas.
The Historical Archive (including documents from 1732) housed in the Town Hall.
The Folklore and History Museum, where among other things local archaeological findings are also exposed.
The hermitage of Aghios Christodoulos (12th century).
The historic female monastery of Aghios Nikolaos (7th – 8th century), commonly known as Moni Galataki.