Home Travel photos Travel Stories Lidice Memorial in Czech Republic

Lidice Memorial in Czech Republic

274
SHARE
Memorial dedicated to the destruction of the town of Lidice by the Nazi occupation forces in 1942. Central Bohemian Region, Czech Republic

This village, the name of which became a symbol of Fascist despotism in World War II, lies 20 km west of Prague and eight km from Kladno. The Nazi occupation of Czechoslovakia had tragic consequences for Lidice. In order to suppress the growing anti-Fascist resistance movement, security police chief SS Obergruppenfuhrer – Reinherd Heydrich was appointed deputy Reichsprotektor in September l941. During his short reign of terror, 5000 anti-Fascist fighters and their helpers were imprisoned. The courts working under martial law were kept busy and the Nazis even had people summarily executed without a trial in order to spread fear throughout the country. Many people from Kladno district died on the scaffold or in concentration camps.

Memorial dedicated to the destruction of the town of Lidice by the Nazi occupation forces in 1942. Central Bohemian Region, Czech Republic

The tragedy of this little village and its 503 inhabitants began on June 10, 1942 a few hours after midnight. The events of that summer day are recorded in a documentary, filmed by those who actually carried out that brutal crime against innocent people. Although a silent film, it can be understood by all people, irrespective of their color or tongue. This film served as document No. 379 at the Nuremberg trials of the Nazi German leaders in 1945. Parts of the film are shown on a video recording at the Lidice museum. The museum is located in the neighborhood of the eastern wing of the colonnade, approximately 100 meters from the main road Prague- Kladno. The museum was built in 1962 according to a project of an architect František Marek.

Memorial and Reverent Area

The first memento of the Lidice tragedy in the area of the former village was a monument erected on July 3rd 1945 by colonel Pankov’s Red Army soldiers. At the beginning of 1950s the first museum was opened. In 1962 for an occasion of 20th anniversary of Lidice tragedy a new museum that was built according to a plan of architect František Marek was inaugurated.

Exhibitions

Martin Homola and Michal Fiala: Spectaculum or How does the Artist Live
from 15th December to 30th April 2017

“Joint exhibition of the two artists presents their work from the field of photography, graphics and applied graphics. Both authors are also friends and work together on various projects, some of which are also presented at this exhibition…”

(source and web site: http://www.lidice-memorial.cz/en/)