“Since 1900 has nutrured a taste for perfection. Harmonies of flavors and great tradition for one of the oldest and most renowned locations in Rome, famous and appreciated in Italy and around…”
It all began back in 1890 when Giuseppe and Bernadina Giolitti opened a creamery on the Salita del Grillo, where they sold milk from their own pastures in the Roman countryside. Very soon, thanks to the quality of the products, the creamery was supplying the Italian royal family. Within a few years, new “Giolitti” stores opened, among which the historic home of the family business at Via Uffici del Vicario 40 in Rome. It was here that Nazzareno Giolitti and his wife Giuseppina decided to add a vegetarian restaurant to the creamery and begin the production of ice cream.
“This has been a historic home since the year 1900 – a stone’s throw from the Pantheon and next to the Chamber of Deputies of the Italian Parliament.
We have a spacious interior, decorated in full Liberty style, and tables outside for customers who want to watch the world go by…”
Some of the ice creams…
Created in 1960 to celebrate the holding of the Olympic Games in Rome. Its shape mirrors the olympic torch. Decked in cream, the inside contains a light crunchy cone, chilled zabaione, turrone, chocolate and at the base pan di Spagna soaked in the flavour of Alkermes
The “Coppa Giolitti” is made up of chocolate ice-cream, custard and chilled zabaione, topped with cream and hazelnut shavings. It is probably the oldest recipe, dating back to 1920.
WORLD GIOLITTI’S CUP
On the inside, the base has a semifreddo al caffè, custard ice cream, tiramisù ice cream, pan di Spagna and a a 32 centimetre wafer column, bathed in cream and topped by a three coloured “flag”! This was created to celebrate the holding of the World Cup in Italy in 1990.